My Thoughts on Mommyhood ….
Becoming a mom is like no other. Even when I was young I was excited to be a mom someday, and would talk about favorite baby names and how fun it would be to have a baby. When I did become a mom for the first time, it changed me forever. Of course it is a huge adjustment in a life where you are just used to taking care of yourself–a little overwhelming–but the best thing in the world. I never knew so much love as I feel for my littles. The love and bond that you have with this little human being that you carried for 9 months, and all ready feel like you know. My kiddos have made me a better person, more patient, more aware, and they teach me everyday.
What I love most on a day to day basis are those little moments–when they wake up with the crazy bed head and want loves, when we are riding in the car and they are asking me a million questions about everything and anything, and when I get to have one on one time with them. I love to watch the kiddos experience new things–the everyday happenings can be something so amazing and exciting to little kids–it makes you want to really stop and enjoy those small things in life that we rush through.
Is being a mom tough? ummm…yeah! hardest thing there is! Some days i don’t know how i will get through the day in one piece–but boy is it worth it! I am a huge believer that you need to have time for yourself and have those hobbies and passions outside of your roles at home–if I didn’t, I know I would be a crazy person.
I truly believe being a mom is the best job in the world–I feel so blessed that I have these babies in my life.
- What we have done is just try to involve them as much as possible. They always get to hear the names we are thinking of, and like to add their input. They love to help get things ready in the nursery, and come to the appointments and see the baby. They constantly ask when the baby is gong to be here and if he is sleeping in my belly or awake. With our littlest Nora who is 2, we just talk to her about the baby and how much fun it will be to have him in our family.
- I love anything lemon all the time, but especially when i am pregnant! it is my favorite thing. I try to eat healthy–but on a friday night when i feel like a butterfinger ice cream shake, you better believe i am going to have one.
- I wish i had those amazing genes! and was one of those incredibly cute pregos! ha! I am an avid runner and love to exercise, so i really try and keep that up as long as i possibly can while i am pregnant. As i get farther along, it gets a little tough to do everything i want to do, but i will just modify and not go as hard. I think the key is to listen to your body.
- I was only able to breastfeed one of my babes– so I don’t know that i am to skilled in this area–but starting out, i tried to introduce the bottle early, just giving her one every few days or so. That way I felt like if I was out, or needed to gone for a while there wouldn’t be an issue of trying to have her take a bottle. I breast fed for 8 months, and since she was all ready used to getting a bottle every now and then the transition was really easy.
- Timi and Leslie convertible diaper bag. I love that it just looks like a purse instead of a huge diaper bag.
- Stretch island fruit leather–for me and the kiddos. A delish lil snack–and little teething babies love them too.
- i always have a few of the board books- a favorite is the very hungry caterpillar The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- Lipstick – A favorite cheap go-to is Maybelline Coral Crush – It’s just a subtle coral and just adds that bit of color you want on a day to day without being too bold. It is a lot like MAC Impassioned but only $5 at the drugstore.
- Always carry an extra onesie for those blowout moments – that happen more than we like to admit.
- Diapers and wipes, of course! We go for the Kirkland brand – Why? Because getting in bulk at Costco is always a bonus.
- I always carry an extra pair on sunnies in my diaper bag – usually just a cheap pair from Forever21.