Fall is the season for baking! I try to eat little to no gluten but it’s almost impossible during this time of the year! I normally don’t bake but I like to occasionally make banana bread. I liked this twist on regular banana bread by adding some blueberries! I had my kids help me and although my kitchen was upside down by the time we were done.. their smiles, laughs and spending quality time together made it all worth it. I have to say, having buttermilk in this recipe plus all the other ingredients had my house smelling like a real bakery! Of course, my kids were too excited to wait until the banana bread had cooled down before eating it so you can see a dip in the middle of the bread because they pushed on it saying “it’s not hot anymore!.. OUCH!” So it might not be picture perfect but it was delicious! If you have any questions comment below.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 2 loaf pans OR four 5 3/4-inch mini loaf pans with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until well combined. Beat in bananas until well combined. Gradually add flour mixture to the sugar mixture at low speed, beating just until incorporated.
- Add blueberries and gently toss to combine.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the loaf pans. Place into oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes before inverting the cake onto a wire rack.